Sunday, July 17, 2011

Leftovers!

So, I sorted all my 2 1/2” strips into color groups in my storage drawers and realized I had quite a few of a couple blues, some of which were already sewn together.  I remember them from the green/blue/orange toddler quilt I made a few years ago (isn’t it funny how seeing a fabric triggers a memory?).

At any rate, I figured it was a good time to see if I could do something with them.  At first, I was just thinking four-patches as leaders/enders, but then a brainstorm hit.  Blew right in without any warning! ;)

So I sewed all the blues together – even the little partial strips – and got to digging through my ruler stash to see if I had something to play with.  I chose a triangle ruler and then realized that more options for these blocks were possible.  If I added white . . . found two full strips of a WOW print in my 4 1/2” drawer . . . It’s still too much blue – what about an accent color?  I found a whole bunch of a beautiful red solid, but hmmm. . . . how about this gorgeous gold print??

I knew that if I flipped the gold on either side of the blues, it would make the cut pieces more interesting.  And if I sewed the gold to the WOW, it would keep everything the same width and open up even more possibilities.

So, I’m just stripping along and got to thinking, “What about adding a thin red as another accent?”  I seriously considered it, but then realized once we started playing with the blocks, that I didn’t really need a red (at least, that’s what I think right now – I could change my mind yet!)

Anyhoo, here are pics of the eleven “leftovers” blocks – I held out one two-blue strip set to be sure I had enough of the right sequence of pieces and I have to finagle a few more pieces out of that to complete a few of these (see the post-its?)  But, it’s not bad for strips that were languishing in a drawer, doing nothing!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice!
    Another good reason to cut those scraps into a usable size. but how did you make the round shapes?

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara Sweetie...
    What beautiful quilted pieces of love. Love for the art of quilting. Your work is so breathtakingly beautiful. I love seeing your creativeness. Thank you so much for sharing with me.

    This is the Miracle Weekend makeover. I am one of the hosting sites. For every comment left, Guideposts magazine will pay a dollar, to the next cancer makeover patient. Please stop by and read the story about 9 year old Charlie, and bless me with a comment. Out goal between the 4 or 5 blogs is 5,000. I know we can do it. I would appreciate it, if you pass the word around to as many friends as possible.

    Thank you sweetie for a wonderful post. I love it. Have a glorious weekend. Country hugs from Phoenix, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on those little blocks!

    ReplyDelete